Grant Thornton LLP
About Grant Thornton
Grant Thornton LLP is a leading accounting and advisory firm providing audit, tax and advisory services across Canada and globally as a member firm of Grant Thornton International. Together with Raymond Chabot Grant Thornton we enjoy an enviable position in the marketplace as the fifth largest national firm in the country and a clear leader in the privately held business space.
Our vision is to create sustainable advantage for our clients, our people, and the communities in which we work and live. We believe that what we do matters, and we strive to make a difference every day, individually and collectively.
Our brand is synonymous with trust. We are privileged to work with some of Canada’s most successful private and public organizations; and we are very proud to have been recognized by the Great Place to Work Institute as one of Canada’s Best Workplaces for the last FOUR consecutive years.
We are successfully executing an ambitious strategy to establish a distinctive leadership brand in each of the markets in which we operate. It’s a very exciting time for our firm – we have the resources to compete, and the culture to differentiate.
Our Advisory Services (AS) practice is growing and is looking for a Senior Associate in the Corporate Finance group. The Corporate Finance team provides financial advisory services to middle-market private and public businesses in Canada and around the world in the areas of Transaction Advisory Services, Valuations, Capital Markets, Financing and Mergers & Acquisitions. As part of the Advisory Services practice, the candidate can also expect to gain exposure to the other practice areas within AS including, Forensic and Investigative Accounting, Recovery & Restructuring and Business Risk Services.
A career with Grant Thornton will provide you an opportunity to:
- Work with a team of professionals who assist individuals and businesses with a wide range of business advisory services such as risk management, internal audit, internal control advisory, project management, and governance
- Be part of a unique work culture that challenges you to further your professional development and enlarge your chosen career path
- Be part of a fast growing environment with well respected professionals who are locally renowned in their respective fields
- Develop solutions with clients and co-workers through collaborative debate and discussion
- Be engaged with clients on a variety of local and national projects
Why choose Grant Thornton?
At Grant Thornton you can make a difference every day. We have more offices across Canada than any other professional services firm, allowing us to be down the street from clients, not just downtown. We are independent in Canada with access to global resources, expertise and opportunities. Our professionals are renowned experts in their field who provide high level technical expertise. We provide a competitive salary and a flexible benefits package. We respect people’s lives outside of work and provide flexibility, where possible. Our firm is recognized for quality, and we are a trusted brand on the move!
As a highly motivated professional, you will be expected to support the other members of the Corporate Finance team. Your accountabilities will include:
- Resolving regular, well defined client issues
- Undertaking qualitative and quantitative analyses to develop and validate solutions
- Ensuring compliance/due diligence to standard operating procedures/policies and relevant legislation in all aspects of work Meeting with clients to understand and analyze their businesses
- Conducting industry and market research
- Researching public companies to develop peer group valuations
- Performing comparable transaction analysis
- Developing target lists of prospective purchasers or investors for sell side mandates and acquisition targets for buy side mandates
- Building detailed valuation and financial models for public and private companies, including sensitivity analysis
- Drafting valuation reports for presentation to clients
- Writing information memorandums for sale and financing mandates;
- Preparing presentations and proposals, and
- Involvement in group administrative duties
Our Unique Culture
Clients tell us that they do business with Grant Thornton because of the quality of our people. We have a talented, intellectually curious team and a unique culture that we work hard to preserve. We want you to achieve your full potential and are aware that our success as an organization depends on each of our people building strong and challenging careers that they can be proud of. Using our values as our guide, we empower our people to make a difference in every interaction with one another, with clients, and in the communities in which we work and live.
The qualifications for this position include:
- Undergraduate degree in business with a concentration in finance or accounting
- Proven track record of high academic achievement
- 1-2 years experience involving analysis of financial statements or other financial information, including financial modeling with Excel
- CGA, CMA or CA designation is an asset
- Willingness to pursue an additional designation, i.e. CBV or CFA
The skills and attributes required for this position include:
- Strong financial analysis skills and understanding of financial statements as well as solid financial modeling capabilities
- Experience with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Strong business writing and communication skills
- Detail oriented and ability to juggle multiple assignments and projects simultaneously
- Ability to work well under pressure, meet deadlines and adapt to a dynamic environment
- Strong problem solving skills
- Team player with a positive attitude
- Willingness to work through peak periods, as required
- A strong desire to help clients succeed in all aspects of their operations
- An interest in learning and understanding the business as a whole rather than just a piece of the process
- The ability to talk to and meet with people at various levels throughout an organization
- Enthusiasm for helping businesses grow and adding real value
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team, seeing a project from start to finish
Located on the shores of Lake Ontario, the City of Toronto is viewed as the cultural, entertainment and financial capital of Canada. It is also one of the top financial centers in the world. Considered home to about 3 million people, it is the fifth most populous municipality in North America. Toronto’s population is cosmopolitan and international and is one of the world’s most diverse cities. Because of the city’s low crime rates, clean environment, high standard of living, and friendly attitude to diversity, Toronto is consistently rated as one of the world’s most livable cities. With over 200 dedicated professionals located across two downtown offices in the heart of the business district, our brand is alive!
The Application Process:
We invite you to experience our unique culture and become a valued member of our team. Please begin by completing and submitting, in confidence, an on-line application via our careers website located at: