AIMCo is one of Canada’s largest investment managers, with approximately $70 billion of assets under management for 27 clients, a diverse group of Alberta public sector pension plans, endowments, and government funds representing all Albertans. Our culture is defined by our core values: Integrity, Learning, Resourcefulness, Excellence, Humility and Collaboration.
Our success as an organization is as dependent on the growth of our people as it is our investments. We provide opportunity to our employees, embrace talent with new ideas and are committed to a culture of continuous learning. AIMCo offers competitive compensation and benefit packages, including the potential for a performance based bonus.
Division: Investment Operations
Reports to: Director, Investment Valuations
The Senior Analyst, Private Investment Valuations is responsible supporting the senior manager in maintaining and executing valuation processes for private investments (Private Equity, Private Debt, Infrastructure, Mortgage and Real Estate investments). This position will also assist in managing relationships with private investment administration, relevant investment teams, and external valuation agents to gather and review information required for carrying out valuation processes.
The Senior Analyst applies a strong understanding of valuation theory and best practices to:
- Complete the execution of internally prepared valuation projects including the development of valuation models and drafting of recommendation memos.
- Manage the day-to-day interaction with external valuation agents engaged to provide valuation reports or appraisals; and, assist in providing mentorship and training to more junior members of the Valuations team.
- Assist in the implementation of strategic initiatives to promote the continuous improvement of valuation policies, procedures, and processes.
- Executes the daily, monthly, quarterly, and/or annual (as required by asset class) valuation processes and procedures, while maintaining compliance with established internal controls. This includes development and maintenance of valuation templates and models, preparation of valuation recommendations, and completion of projects within established timelines.
- Manages day-to-day relationships and information flows with private investment administration and relevant investment team members to ensure that a thorough understanding of developments in each relevant investment portfolio is maintained.
- Participates in the development and revision of Valuation methodologies and standards aimed at improving the Valuation process for private investments. Recommends new policies, procedures and standards for consideration based on changes in best practice valuation guidelines and practices.
- Assists in the training and development of other team members and acts as a mentor by demonstrating valuation best practices and adherence to policies and internal controls.
- Stays abreast of trends and developments in the valuations field, seeking out opportunities both to increase knowledge and demonstrate subject matter expertise on valuations practices when needed by other areas within AIMCo.
Our Ideal Candidate
- At least three years of experience in private business, infrastructure, or real estate valuations with demonstrated competence in financial analysis and modeling.
- Undergraduate degree in Accounting, Finance, or related.
- A professional accounting, finance, or valuation designation (eg. CA, CFA, CBV).
- Enrolment or demonstrated interest in pursuing a second professional designation is preferred.
- Strong technical skills in Excel, Word.
- Familiarity with Bloomberg, Capital IQ, FINCAD, or Argus would be an asset.
- Effective organization, time management and communication skills.
- Analytical: Able to structure and process qualitative or quantitative data on complex issues and quickly develop insightful conclusions from it and outline the pros and cons of action.
- Problem-Solving: Generates creative approaches to addressing problems/opportunities, makes sound decisions by reviewing all relevant information, takes calculated risks and recognizes the impact of solutions.
- Organizational Skills: Plans, organizes, schedules and budgets in an efficient, productive manner. Focuses on key priorities.
- Energy and Enthusiasm: Takes a positive, energetic approach to the task or job at hand. Exhibits passion and excitement over work.
- Team Player: Works well with others, willing to share the credit. Reaches out to peers at all levels of the organization to establish an overall collaborative working relationship.
NOTE: Final candidates will be asked to undergo a security screening, which includes a credit bureau and a criminal record investigation, the results of which must be acceptable to AIMCo.
We thank all applicants in advance; however, only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted
To apply visit our Career Opportunity page on our website www.aimco.alberta.ca